Upland Housing Authority
Serving the Community of Upland Since 1943


Housing Programs  |   Applicants   |   Participants   |   Landlords  |   Contact Us

UHA Main


About UHA

Board of Commissioners


Jobs & Contracting


Contact Us


Housing Programs

What We Offer


About Public Housing

Public Housing Policies

About Section 8

Section 8 Policies




Resident Services

Resident Advisory Board



General Information

How to Participate


Inspection Standards

Direct Deposit

Forms for Landlords




Fair Housing

Report Fraud

Helpful Links

Other Resources


This website was updated on:
August 11, 2016


Tracking Debts Owed and Terminations

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has developed a new database designed to help insure that only eligible individuals are assisted through the Section 8 and Public Housing programs. The following information was prepared by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for applicants and participants of the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher programs.  Text in italics has been added by UHA.



The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development maintains a national repository of debts owed to [Public Housing Authorities] PHAs and adverse termination of former participants of the above-listed HUD rental assistance programs. This information is maintained within HUD's Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) system, which is used by Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) to verify employment and income information of program participants, as well as to reduce administrative and rental assistance payment errors.  The EIV system is designed to assist PHAs and HUD in ensuring that families are eligible to participate in HUD rental assistance program and determining the correct amount of rental assistance a family is eligible for. All PHAs are required to use this system.

HUD requires PHAs, which administer the above-listed rental housing programs, to report certain information at the conclusion of your participation in a HUD rental assistance program. This notice provides you with information on what information the PHA is required to provide HUD, who will have access to this information, how this information is used and your rights. PHAs are required to provide this notice to all applicants and program participants.


What information about you and your tenancy does HUD collect from the PHA?

The following information is collected about each member of your household (family composition): 1) Full Name; and 2) Date of Birth; and 3) Social Security Number.

The following information is collected once your participation in the housing program has ended or you move out of an assisted unit: 1) Amount of any balance you owe the PHA (up to $500,000); and 2) Whether or not you have entered into a repayment agreement for the amount that you owe the PHA; and 3) Whether or not you have filed for bankruptcy; and 4) The negative reason for your end of participation in the housing program (for example: abandoned unit, fraud, criminal activity, failure to comply with lease, etc.)


Who will have access to the information collected?

This information will be available to HUD employees, PHA employees, and contractors of HUD and PHAs.


How will this information be used?

PHAs will have access to this information during the time of application for rental assistance. PHAs will be able to access this information to determine a family's suitability for rental assistance, and avoid providing limited Federal housing assistance to families who have previously been unable to comply with HUD program requirements. If the reported information is accurate, your future request for HUD rental assistance may be   denied for a period of up to ten years from the date you moved out of an assisted unit or were terminated from a housing program.


What are my rights?

In accordance with the Federal Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (5 USC 552a) and HUD regulations pertaining to its implementation of the Federal Privacy Act of 1974 (24 CFR Part 16), you have the following rights: 1) To have access to your records maintained by HUD. 2) To have an administrative review of HUD's initial denial of your request to have access to your records maintained by HUD. 3) To have incorrect information in your record corrected upon written request. 4) To file an appeal request of an initial adverse determination on correction or amendment of record request within 30 calendar days after the issuance of the written denial. 5) To have your record disclosed to a third party upon receipt of your written and signed request.


What do I do if I dispute the debt or termination information reported about me?

If you are denied assistance due to information obtained from the database, the PHA that obtained the information will provide you with a copy of the report.  The report will include the name of the PHA that reported the debt owed and/or termination information. If you dispute the information, you should contact the PHA in writing.  Inform the PHA why you dispute the information and provide any documentation that supports your dispute. Your filing of bankruptcy will not result in the removal of debt owed or termination information from HUD's EIV system. However, if you have included this debt in your bankruptcy filing and/or this debt has been discharged by the bankruptcy court, your record will be updated to include the bankruptcy indicator. The PHA will notify you of its action regarding your dispute. If the PHA determines that the disputed information is incorrect, the PHA will update or delete the record. If the PHA determines that the disputed information is correct, the PHA will provide a written explanation as to why the information is correct.


Important Information:

  • Upon your request, the PHA must give you the information that pertains to you and maintained in HUD's EIV system.

  • All PHAs that administer the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) programs have access to debts owed and termination information of all former program participants.

  • If you tell the PHA that your record contains inaccurate information, the PHA must promptly investigate the matter and inform you in writing the outcome of their investigation.

  • The PHA must correct or, as the case may be, delete inaccurate debt owed or termination information contained in the EIV system.

  • Debt owed and/or termination information will be maintained in EIV for a period of ten (10) years from the end of participation date.


 Electronic Income Verification

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has developed a new system for Housing Authorities to use to verify the income of their program participants. The system provides comprehensive information about earnings from employment and other income for every household member, including minors. Upland Housing Authority uses this information to verify the income information provided by the household. The new verification system also enables UHA staff to identify fraudulent activity by providing data about income sources which have not been reported by the household. 

Please remember to provide complete and accurate information about your household's income at the time of initial or re-examination and any time your income changes. If UHA determines that your household has committed fraud by withholding information regarding income, your assistance may be terminated and you may be prosecuted for fraud. You may also be required to repay any overpaid assistance monies, be fined up to $10,000, and be prohibited from receiving housing assistance in the future. UHA actively investigates and prosecutes for fraud and program abuse. 


Housing Authority of the City of Upland, California

1200 N. Campus Avenue, Upland, California  91786
(909) 982-2649 Telephone    |    (909) 982-0237 Facsimile