Upland Housing Authority
Serving the Community of Upland Since 1943


Housing Programs  |   Applicants   |   Participants   |   Landlords  |   Contact Us

UHA Main


About UHA

Board of Commissioners


Jobs & Contracting


Contact Us


Housing Programs

What We Offer


About Public Housing

Public Housing Policies

About Section 8

Section 8 Policies




Resident Services

Resident Advisory Board



General Information

How to Participate


Inspection Standards

Direct Deposit

Forms for Landlords




Fair Housing

Report Fraud

Helpful Links

Other Resources


This website was updated on:
August 11, 2016


Frequently Asked Questions for Landlords


Contact Us

Q: How will I benefit from renting to Section 8 participants?
A: The Section 8 program offers many benefits for landlords:

  • Guaranteed Rent: The Housing Authority’s contracted portion of the rent is paid directly to the landlord on time each and every month. 

  • Protection Against Tenant Loss of Income: A Section 8 participant's rent portion is based on his/her income, and the Housing Authority's portion of the rent can be increased if the tenant's income drops.  Landlords have the assurance that their tenant will always be able to afford their portion of the rent.

  • Better Unit Maintenance: Units are inspected at least annually, resulting in better upkeep of the unit by the tenant.  Inspections also help property owners maintain their property, making it easier to lease up again when a tenant vacates.

  • You Choose Your Tenants: Landlords have full discretion in tenant selection within the guidelines of the Fair Housing Act.  Landlords are not required to rent to a family who does not meet their non-discriminatory eligibility requirements.

  • Limited Paperwork: Landlords fill out the Request for Tenancy Approval forms and the lease. The bulk of the paperwork is prepared by the UHA.

  • Use Your Own Lease: You rent the unit on your terms.

Q: What kinds of properties are eligible?
A: Single family homes, apartments, duplexes, triplexes, four-plexes, condominiums, mobile homes and townhouses may all be eligible, so long as they comply with the Housing Quality Standards and local building code requirements.

Q: Does my property have to be located in the City of Upland?
A: Yes.  UHA serves only the City of Upland.

Q: Can my tenant pay me more than the amount listed on the lease and HAP contract?
A: No. Any payments that cause the rent you receive to exceed the amount specified on the lease (or any UHA-approved rent increase) are called “side payments”.  Side payments are prohibited by the regulations and the HAP Contract. To accept any amount in addition to the tenant’s portion of the rent approved by UHA constitutes fraud. UHA would have the right to terminate the HAP contract and allow the tenant to relocate.

Q: Can I raise the rent after I have signed the lease and HAP Contract?
A: After the first year of the lease you may request an increase in the rent amount. Landlords must request any increase in writing no less than sixty (60) days prior to the date they wish the increase to take effect. For example, if you want the increase to take effect on the first day of the lease renewal, you must submit your request for increase no less than sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of the current lease.

Q: Can I rent my property to a family member who is a Section 8 participant?
A: No. UHA is prohibited by federal regulations from approving a unit for assistance if the owner is a parent, grandparent, child, or sibling of any member of the family, unless the program participant is a person with disabilities and it has been determined that approving the unit would provide a reasonable accommodation for the program participant.

Q: What does my property need in order to pass inspection?
A: Please see our HQS Checklist for a list of requirements.


Updated 2/22/2016


Housing Authority of the City of Upland, California

1200 N. Campus Avenue, Upland, California  91786
(909) 982-2649 Telephone    |    (909) 982-0237 Facsimile