How To Become a Participating Landlord
2. Screen Prospective Tenants: Although UHA screens our waiting list applicants for sex offender registration and criminal history, the landlord is responsible for screening all prospective tenants the same as they would any other prospective tenant. UHA encourages landlords to run criminal, rental and credit history checks on all prospective clients.
3. Choose a Tenant: The final decision is the landlord’s. You may charge an application fee so long as it is the same fee charged to non-Section 8 applicants.
4. Submit a “Request For Tenancy Approval” (RFTA) to UHA: Voucher holders are given an RFTA packet when they receive their voucher. When you choose a tenant to rent to you will need to fill out the packet and return it to the tenant for submittal to UHA.
5. Have a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection: When UHA receives the RFTA we will schedule an inspection of the unit to be rented. The purpose of the inspection is to verify the unit is decent, safe, and the proposed rent is appropriate for the size, age, and condition of the unit. See the Housing Quality Standards Checklist for a list of requirements to pass inspection.
6. Determine the Rent: The rent amount must be acceptable under the standards set by HUD and appropriate for the size, age, and condition of the unit. The payment standards are set by HUD and are unique to each area. See Payment Standards for more information.
7. Sign the Lease and Housing Assistance Payments (HAP)
Contract: After the unit has passed the inspection and
the rent amount has been approved, The landlord and tenant will
sign a lease, and the landlord and a UHA representative will
sign a HAP Contract. The HAP Contract will specify the amount of
rent to be paid directly to the landlord by UHA. The lease and
contract may begin the day the unit passes inspection and the
tenant takes possession of the unit.
For further information please see our FAQ For Landlords Page
Housing Authority of the City of Upland, California
Campus Avenue, Upland, California 91786